Oasis de los Osos
Oasis de los Osos Preserve (65 ha, 160 acres) is also located in Riverside County, approximately 12 miles northwest of Palm Springs. The site is indeed a desert oasis with a perennial water source (Lambs Creek). This makes the site a historical hub of activity for a diverse assemblage of flora and fauna, including humans. The Wanakik native people inhabited the area long before it was homesteaded in 1929 by Lucy and Denver Lamb who grazed sheep on the property. The Lamb’s residence was destroyed by a flood and one of the trails leads past the ruins of their stone house. Mr. John van Pelt purchased the property in the late 1940’s. Mr. van Pelt, a Hollywood set designer, hoped to develop the property as a resort, but he passed away before he could see out his plans. The Nature Conservancy purchased part of the parcel in 1971 with donations from Robert Bear, after whom Oasis de los Osos is named (“Oasis of the Bear”). There are no facilities at Oasis, but camping is permitted.